Friday, April 8, 2011

two great jazz songs you never heard

I've come across a couple rare gems of classic songwriting in the last few days, and wanted to share them.

Give a Broken Heart a Break

Cleo Brown is one of my most-favorite least-known artists. I don't know for sure who wrote it, but I've never found another version of it, which makes me guess it might've been Cleo herself. It's an adorable little jelly bean of a song.



You Don't Know What Love Is

I wasn't familiar with this song until I stumbled across it the other week, on a Billie Holiday cassette ($.50 from Amoeba records in LA)! Oddly enough, Ella sings this ballad harder, sadder and gutsier than Billie.

1 comment:

  1. That last one is a perfect example of why you can't just choose Ella or Billie--you can lean towards one, but there will always be an example or two where your second favorite absolutely kills it all. It's like having to choose the Count or the Duke.

    That first one IS an absolute jelly bean of a song!

    ReplyDelete